I was a guest on Deigo Footer's Permaculture Voices Podcast!

You may listen here.

I enjoy listening to podcasts about gardening, farming, and homeschooling.  I don't want to have on the TV to watch the news, as was my habit before the children became old enough to notice, while I cook supper or do chores around the house because I want them to play, or to at least not be terrified by all the crazy things going on in the world.  I also enjoy listening to podcasts in the car when the children aren't with me.  I educate myself through the efforts of people trying to do things in which I am interested.

So I foundDeigo Footer's Permaculture Voices Podcast, in which he talks about farming as well as about life in general.  I have raised two batches of meat birds for our own consumption, and I am interested in raising more.  He did a podcast on pastured poultry and I was interested in the amount of money a farmer could earn raising birds on pasture, and commented on the podcast.  I told him a bit about my experiences raising chickens, and he invited me to be a guest on the podcast on an episode about small-scale poultry raisers.  So here   it is.

Currently, I have 14 chickens and 5 chicks for eggs.  I am definitely not making anything off the eggs I do have; the eggs are the most expensive ones I have ever eaten!  But chickens are fun.

We live on five acres of land, where about 1 acre is relatively flat and cleared and the rest is in hilly woods, but we plan to start building a home on more land soon.  There is a former pasture of about three acres on this property, and the layout of the land is more conducive to moving chicken tractors.

I'm interested in doing something like this but it would be lighter and easier to move since my children and I would be doing the work.  I will be taking the birds to a local slaughterhouse for processing.  Here is a post about the first time I raised meat birds.

It would be a great part-time job for my children to earn some money and to understand the value of real work.  And it would be fun for me too.  (I know that sounds crazy, but as I told a friend, I really enjoy chickens.)

So here is my debut into podcasting.  I am first, so you can hear me without listening to the entire hour and 40 minutes unless you want to.  I enjoyed listening to everyone and learned a lot.  I say "Ummm" too much, I think....